What: News conference to release and discuss "At A Crossroads: A Report Card on Public Higher Education in Minnesota"
· American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA) in partnership with the Freedom Foundation of Minnesota (FFM)
· Charles Mitchell, Program Director, American Council of Trustees and Alumni, Washington, D.C.
· Heather Lakemacher, Fellow, American Council of Trustees and Alumni, Washington, D.C.
· Annette Meeks, CEO, Freedom Foundation of Minnesota
When: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 10 a.m.
Where: Room 181 State Office Building
· Do our state's colleges and universities require students to take courses that ensure a common intellectual background, as well as those that develop college-level skills critical to workforce participation?
· What are the trends in spending,tuition, and fees? Are students graduating in the expected four years? Are institutionsseeing better cost management and efficiency of operations?
· A survey conductedby a national polling firm for this report asked Minnesota college students: "What is the intellectual atmosphere on campus?"
· How well are the Board of Regents and MnSCU Trustees structured to do their work and what have they accomplished? Is the governance process open and transparent? Are the Regents and Trustees addressing key issues that are central to academic excellence?
Copies of the report card will be distributed to state legislators,state government and opinion leaders.
Posted on Wed, March 17, 2010